This really does seem like an informed decision. A common complaint among young women seems to be that they see the Girl Scouts as being too "girly," with their emphasis on crafts, cookies, and badge gathering. The new system is leaning towards a tougher program - camping out in the cold, learning to things such as change a tire or unclog faulty plumbing. Not exactly the kind of thing I see a bunch of little girls lining up to do - but nonetheless, the goal here is to shape young leaders who can function independently in society. All in all, a good plan, I think.
This reform, however, makes me wonder why the Girl Scouts chose now to change. People are pushing for change in several different areas - the Boy Scouts, the public education system, the military, the war effort, the health care system - so why are the Girl Scouts the ones to fold? Well, perhaps they aren't folding. I can't criticize the change - they do seem to be molding their system to better benefit modern young women. Nonetheless, I find it interesting that they did this now. Maybe they are anticipating future criticism. It seems that nobody is safe, after all. I just hope they keep the cookies.
1 comment:
As discussed in class today about the changes in existing English practices throughout grade school and high school, I believe this Girl Scout issue is not too different. I will comment on this issue from both sides, as I can see how each has its benefits. On the side of this new reform I do understand the importance of teaching young women more independence. I believe that if girls acting independently at a young age than maybe they will earn more respect in society from males as females would no longer have to be so dependant on them. I think it would be good for all little girls to experience the “other side” of childhood with camping outside and changing tires. I wish I knew how to change a tire, these seem like skills that are well worth knowing. On the other hand however, I think that tradition is important, and without it our culture would not be what it is today. Every year, Americans look forward to Girl Scout cookie season, where they can support their daughters and the cute little girls in front of grocery stores. I think that every little girl deserves a chance if they decide to embrace their girlhood and embrace the things they will not be able to in years to come. This is an opportunity for girl bonding and special badge experiences that are vital to young girls as they progress into social relationships. I can see both sides of the issue and think it will be useful for these girls in the future to maintain these skill sets to be more independent. I still think it is important to be a little girl, because this will be one time in their lives that they will never get back.
Post a Comment