Monday, March 3, 2008

Questionable TCU Political Agenda?

I feel that something on this campus has gained attention (as it should) and I also do not know how to perceive this “attention.” As many students, faculty, and staff know Chelsea Clinton came to campus today and spoke at the student Main. Most affiliated with TCU found this news out at interestingly enough 4:13PM the Sunday night prior to her Monday showing. Here is the email, put out by the Young Democrats on the TCU listserve:

To all TCU Students, Faculty, and Staff,

Chelsea Clinton will be on campus Monday morning (March 3, 2008) at 10:15 AM in the Student Center Memorial Lounge doing a Q&A session lasting approximately one hour. The event is free and open to TCU Students, Faculty, and Staff.

Thank you,
Celeste Greene
President - TCU Democrats

Wow. There are several things running through my mind in terms of analyzing this text. The first thing that pops into my head is: Why the late notice to all of TCU? Was this visit one that was not planned, because it seems this would be the only excuse for such tardiness. Chelsea Clinton is a figure of our generation, who has seen the ins and outs of a successful presidency and has been the cue of media attentions for years. I believe that this is a very big deal, one that was not accredited or given enough publicity or recognition by the university. The second thing that comes to mind that somewhat plays off the first one is this: Are the “Young Democrats” of TCU not much of Democrats at all? You would think that this party as a whole would be excited about this visit as I do believe it is an honor and a privilege, probably publicized nationally by several reputable news and television stations. The third thing is: Do the Young Democrats believe she will eventually be surrendering to Obama in the near future and this is why her backing was so half-baked? Does this say something about the Young Democrats and their loyalty to their candidates regardless if it is the “right” candidate or the “winning” candidate? There are many different questions and steps of analysis you could take, however it still stands that I am very surprised that a school such as TCU didn’t have their hands in this process better, as to have risen the hype and awareness of this important political visit. I almost want to come to the conclusion that TCU was not all that happy about her coming her with all these flaming Conservatives around that petition against Hillary everyday in class. I know that my professor gave us the option to go watch Chelsea speak, yet it was clearly an afterthought after everyone had already appeared in class at 10:00am, and when she said it was optional I could almost see the disproval in her eyes. Politics are sure interesting.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I agree that the lack of attention Chelsea received is a little ridiculous. I was walking around campus today and seriously saw about 20 Obama fliers (complete with a drawing of a peace sign in the O in his name). The praise Obama is getting is absolutely ridiculous - but why is everyone forgetting about the other Democratic candidate? I'm getting really scared about this election - young people are absolutely obsessed with Obama, but why are all these petitions against Hillary flying around? All this "change" rhetoric surrounding Obama is obviously overriding the legitimately intelligent points Hillary is making.

TCU's reaction to Chelsea Clinton just shows how biased the whole political process is. Obama is the clear favorite. If Obama's wife came to campus, we'd have seen that email long ago. This is really scary, because people are missing out on what other candidates have to say - Obama is rage among young people, so he's the one getting the attention. And no one else.