Tuesday, March 4, 2008

TCU's Obama Frenzy

If you've stepped onto the TCU campus today you've probably noticed the ridiculous amount of Obama signs littered about. These are handwritten and student-made, with a peace sign in the O of Obama's name. I've got nothing against these fliers - the issue I have is with the fact that I've been seeing nothing but OBAMA for the last few days, and it's getting a little ridiculous.

Where are the McCain fliers? The Hillary fliers? I feel like young people are completely backing Obama and no one else, and my question is: Why? What's the obsession, guys? I feel like the only thing I've heard Obama say is "change" - sure, change would be fantastic, but I feel like his real success is due to his oratory skills and the fact that he's got this "presence" when he's before a crowd. Something that can be extremely useful - or dangerous.

Anyway, this isn't a criticism of Obama. I just feel that it's pretty sad how the Obama-supporting community is rallying people together at TCU, but no one else. I at least expected something from the Hillary supporters - I spoke with her campaign group at the mall yesterday and it seems they're fairly well represented in Texas.

It's disappointing how one-sided TCU's political scene is. I expected a little more diversity - instead all I see is pro-Obama, anti-Hillary, and absolutely nothing regarding the Republican party. Still, I feel that the Obama mini-campaign running here will probably be effective. A group of students marching together to go vote is a lot more appealing than someone feeling like an outcast while going to cast their vote for Hillary. The Obama campaign is daunting - it's making those not supporting Obama feel highly underrepresented here, thus possibly discouraging the hesitant voter.

More power to them, I guess. I just hope everyone knows what they're doing.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I think a part of the appeal that is Obama is his rhetoric. I think it is very simple when it comes down to it. The younger generation, I would agree is back Obama substantially. I think there is more of a concrete reason here than just a simple coincidence. Students at colleges and universities around the world are taught how to “think correctly” and to not step outside boundaries of unknown territory. The reason Obama speaks so loudly to the young voters is that this is the dialogue, reasoning, and rhetoric we have been bred to hear through our teachers, our writing, our presentations, this is what is normalcy to us, what is proper and right. It is not a surprise to me that his message might be great and inspiring, but when he gets in the white house is he going to make effective enough “changes” to where we can really tell the difference? Obama’s use of words and rhetoric is genius, it is glittering and absolutely on purpose. I think this can also be compared to the workings and speeches of Martin Luther King, Obama’s speeches echo these visionary feelings. It surprises me that at this campus there are so many Obama fliers. In mostly every class I go to, all of the male students are for any Republican, they do not care which. It also seems that more women in my classes are voicing their opinions on the Democratic party, they are voicing their opinions on Obama. This campaigns and debates prove once again how important it is to be a truly talented rhetorician. Let’s just hope the proof is in the pudding as a president.

Muse-ack_Man said...

I think your concern is well warranted. Young people today are so bandwagon-prone that it is hard to know which has more of a bearing on their political decisions: CNN or MTV. While I think that outlets like the Daily Show and YouTube have had an interesting effect on the amount of real news that young people take in, it still may not be enough to create a well-rounded and intelligent decision.