Thursday, March 27, 2008

NPR: May the Fluff Be With You

Often times when I think about NPR expect to see stories on subjects like the war in Iraq or immigration. Typically I think of local news channels giving in to the cheesy medium of the bleeding heart public interest features or the silly little pieces on recent pop culture phenomenon. However on visiting the front page of NPR.org in a small flash window scrolling a few fluff pieces one of which caught my eye. Being a bit of a Star Wars buff (this is the largest understatement in history) I couldn't help but click on a piece entitled "Rejected: 'Star Wars' Merchandise You'll Never Own" next to a picture of a Death Star BBQ Grille. Owning more than my fair amount of Galactic trinkets I was immediately distraught to hear of a potential possibility of more Bantha fodder no longer available. As a parade of forbidden treasures flashed before my eyes I mourned the loss of the Cloud City Lamp and my personal favorite the Jabba the Hutt Bean Bag Chair. It was about this point when it hit me that this was no social news website, but what most consider to be an elite and hard news source. While I do cut down those stories that are fluff, the truth is I probably spent more time thinking about this piece than any real news story all day.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Just so you know. that picture made my day.

That aside, I think the fluff is much more interesting than all the political trash-talking that seems to be happening right now. I look on news sites and watch the news on TV and honestly, I might as well not even bother because it's either something about Obama's pastor being psychotic or Obama being the greatest thing to reach the Earth - or occasionally something else about the other candidates. Little tidbits like this are a breath of fresh air in light of all the discouraging discourse that's happening - nice to see that people still care about things that don't involve people griping at each other.