I've been pondering Mitt Romney's withdrawal from the presidential race since his exit after disappointing Super Tuesday defeats. I thought Romney was a decent candidate - he was experienced, which for me counts for a lot, and supported true conservative values. I was extremely confused and disappointed when he resigned, or in my opinion, gave up, after stating that he would be persevering throughout the race. That sure didn't last long, did it?
After thinking about Romney's decision, however, I think his strategy was a wise one. Although he may not have thought either of the other Republican candidates ideal, they supported Republican values. Romney would rather see his party win than see himself win, and so by resigning, the votes that would have gone to him will now go to one of the other GOP candidates, possibly swaying the election against Obama or Clinton.
Honestly, I don't think the guy had a chance, anyway. It's a shame, but I think his religion had a lot to do with it. I'm familiar with the Mormon religion, and many Christians do not take kindly to it. Whether their views are valid is another debate entirely, but I think it's a bit sad that a man's religion - Christian religion - could actually lose an election for him. Now, the religion wasn't entirely to blame, but it did play a role.
Bloggers seem to be pretty happy with Romney's resignation. I've seen some pretty nasty things - people calling him a shell of a candidate or simply a slick, attractive exterior. I don't agree with this, but I do agree that Romney probably didn't have a chance. And with a good part of America feeling dissatisfied with the Republican party, Romney made the right choice in securing more votes for one of his Republican running mates, hopefully.
1 comment:
I'll be interested in seeing whether Romney resurfaces in future years. I think he's a curious mix of business sense and success and Mormonism. I don't know how long it will take Americans to accept Mormonism as not a cult. JFK's Catholicism was treated like that, too, but he made it.
Post a Comment