Tuesday, February 19, 2008

McCain vs. Obama - that is, Cindy McCain vs. Michelle Obama

Here's something you don't always see in a presidential race - the wives going at it! Well, sort of. Last Tuesday, Cindy McCain introduced her husband at a campaign event, saying, "I am proud of my country. I don't know about you, if you heard those words earlier - I am very proud of my country."

This is being viewed as a blatant response to a comment Michelle Obama made the day before, saying, "For the first time in my life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback... not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

What interests me more so than the comments themselves is the reaction that followed. Apparently this has become something of a "controversy," and both Cindy and Michelle have made statements to the effect of saying that they didn't mean what it sounded like they said.

On Monday, Obama's spokesperson covered Michelle's tracks, saying, "Of course Michelle is proud of her country, which is why she and Barack talk constantly about how their story wouldn't be possible anywhere on Earth."

I see this is a very bad rhetorical strategy. First off, Michelle herself isn't commenting, making it seem like someone else realized this was a bad political move and scrambled to correct it for her. Second, the fact remains that she said she was proud of America "for the first time in her life." If you're going to say something like that, stick behind it at least, and don't have a spokesperson correct it - I think it makes Obama seem just a little catty, not to mention either incapable or unwilling to address her own mistakes.

McCain isn't much better - she showed her own claws when she responded to Obama's in he first place. In an interview, she denied this, saying, "I just wanted to make the statement that I  have and always will be proud of my country." At least she commented on the issue herself - still, its obvious that she was responding to Obama, and would not have said this had Obama not made her remark.

All in all I think this snippy little exchange is totally unnecessary and unrelated to the election at hand. The race is between the candidates, and snippy little comments from the wives aren't going to strengthen anybody's case - all they're going to do is make the wives in question look like a couple of high school girls. The men are taking low blows already - the wives could at least be civil about the whole thing. I think this did absolutely no good rhetorically. Neither McCain nor Obama cited a relevant social issue - save Obama's regurgitation of that whole "change" thing - and McCain's snapping back was completely unnecessary. I appreciate the support for their husbands, but come on, let's make women look reputable and educated, not catty and childish.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I believe that in a race that has the first woman president it is classic that the wives of other candidates are playing such big roles in their campaign strategies. By Michelle saying “for the first time in my life, I am proud of my country” this does set a catty tone, something that men may be guilty of as well, they just present their statement in a rhetorically different manner. From this statement, McCain’s wife automatically commented in response, and it all seems on a childish way down from there.
This situation that Mrs. Obama created for herself may have negative effects on not only her husband, but even more-so Hillary Clinton. I’m not sure if this rhetoric was thought about by Mrs. Obama or is she knew what consequences would result, but comments like these from strong women in politics is what I believe most men and other skeptics are terrified of. The person I believe this could affect the most, second after Obama, is his opponent, female Hillary Clinton.
With strong females a part of the government and main stage for the United States, there is to be more expected. Women have to show strength, while also being proud of their feminism; it is much like a juggling act. Whoever is not for Hillary, or more so is not for ANY female president, comments like these by Michelle Obama are not helping the female gender. As comments like these filter through certain circles, citizens opposed to women in the government will unfortunately be given even more reason to resist.
I’m sure if people believe that if enough women get elected, the public would be forced to witnessed a high school drama due to these kinds of childish deeds. Michelle’s statement was obviously a flamboyant attempt in making her husband seem like he would make an America so that everyone would see the difference, see the change, and see themselves voting for a man who would solve problems and make dreams come true, just as he had done with his wife, Michelle.
If Hillary is elected President, I think she will use her strong suits of being a woman, and because of her education will not have to stoop down to levels below the scale of maturity.