http://www.adbusters.org/abtv/archives.php
Too often in society we see others become persuaded by social influence, we become victims to it, and watch our friends and loved ones get sucked in. However, how far is too far when it comes to national food chains influencing our children from the age as early as three.
The song goes something like: Taco Bell and Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Pizza Hut with a chorus of McDonalds McDonalds! There are arm movements that serve as descriptions from each Kentucky Fried Chicken= flapping arms, Pizza Hut= one circle and McDonalds=a Big M with the arms.
This advertisement found on adbusters is a classic. I will have to preface this by saying, this is not a new technique formulated by fast food chains in an attempt to brainwash young minds. This is a very intentional dive into the parents consumerism now, and the children’s consumerism to come. I remember singing this song at preschool as a young girl, and apparently this is still a song that has been solid in being rehearsed for over 20 years.
It goes without saying, the United States is a society that is highly influenced by advisements and nothing from our childhood could really be that bad, that is why when I hear McDonalds or Burger King I do not attribute these words with a negative connotation. These are words I have heard in a positive light all of my life, Ronald McDonald was at my fourth birthday party, I used to have a Burger King Crown I would wear when I ate my chicken nuggets. It is a genius move for advertisers to instill these names and ideas in the minds of children, things learned at a young age stick, it is proven in the learning of new languages as an adult, and it is also true of life habits, it is also a fact that where you would like to go eat has something to do with remembering as a child loving the beef and cheese burrito at Taco Bell.
Health critics and Doctors can say what they will say. Sometimes, people do not choose to go to a restaurant or fast food chain because it tastes good, sometimes it is as simple as the place being familiar, always being there and always maintaining the same look or flavor. Our childhood memories have a lot to do with the way we react to anything; certain people, men or women, different languages, dogs, dances, sports, literally anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's pretty creepy.
McDonald's is everywhere now--even in hospitals.
Even the "chicken breast" at "Eat Fresh" Subway is a "meat product": some real meat along with corn syrup, sodium, etc., thrown into a vat until it gels/solidifes, then taken out and sold as "chicken breast." Their whole wheat bread isn't entirely whole wheat, either--it's more wheat-flavored white bread; whole wheat is much 'chunkier' tasting.
Anyway, I suppose McDonald's can't advertise something like "Our food decreases lung volume! Worsens ratio of good vs. bad cholestrol! Increases diabetes risk! Increases risk of carpal tunnel!" though that's all true (of most of their food). They gotta sell their stuff.
I can't find my copy of _Fast Food Nation_, but I recall it had a great deal of information about fast food companies inflitrating schools.
Depressing, isn't it?
I should've added something about Subway. I suppose their terminology ("whole wheat"; "chicken breast") is a good example of a rhetorical move (framing?): redefining the terms to where they benefit you best.
Are you responding to a particular video/song on adbusters? When I clicked on the link, I didn't see it but I didn't look very hard either.
And what is the appeal then, if it's not the food? For parents, it's certainly the convenience, the price, and the fact that kids are happy to go there. Eating in a real restaurant with small kids is a nightmare, and if you're a working mom, being able to get a meal out once in awhile that you don't have to cook and clean up after makes it almost worth it to swallow one of those cheeseburgers. Except for egg mcmuffins when we're on the road, I can't bear to eat at McDonald's anymore, but my kids could eat there a couple of times a week and still enjoy it. Why?
Post a Comment