Sunday, February 10, 2008

Appeals to Black Parishioners

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/02/10/bill-clinton-appeals-to-black-parishioners-to-pick-a-female-candidate/

There have been several news reports focusing on presidential candidates: fact. I have also tuned into several news reports of the former President Clinton speaking at rallies, debates, churches, schools, big cities and small towns on behalf of his other half, Hillary Rodham. As the Democratic campaign seems to be getting more intense between Hillary and Obama, I believe many Democrats are torn. However, a determining factor in this election that The Clinton’s appear to be cognizant of is the difference between black and white.
I never thought that in my lifetime the election would more or less come down to a woman and a black man. I think it is about time, change is the only constant and the United States needs it more than ever, in a time of confusion, conflict, and war. I do not claim to be politically savvy by any means, but the direction and change we have come to encounter is a negative one. I think a fresh vision from a fresh gender or color might cleanse out this system that has been tainted by personal agenda’s, or the “good ole boy system.”
I think it is safe to say President Clinton’s run in the office was one of great stride, one that was appreciated and commended by citizens, without touching on the personal side of it.
Just as Black citizens have suffered through their hardships, I think it proves a good case that women have and still do face their own set of hardships in a “man’s world.” This, I think will be one of the most persuasive reasons black citizens will vote for Hillary, as a woman she has faced her “male dominated world” of the “glass ceiling effect”, low respect from her male counterparts, etc.
Bill Clinton has been favorable among black citizens of the United States ever since his presidency. He was successful enough in his education endeavors and housing plans to where he proves to have credibility with several minority groups. He understands as this race comes closer and closer the black vote will be so important, this could make or break Hillary’s presidency.
I believe this is such a good rhetorical move on the former President Clinton’s part. He has created a situation for black voters creating urgency to elect his wife because of her fabulous initiatives of housing, education, and health care.
He does touch on the fact that this decision for the black community is a “God-given dilemma.” I think that Clinton is effective in his presentation to the black community especially going to their churches, where he can have an effect on the pathos of his audience. At the end I think it is even greater that he encourages this audience to think and pray about their choice, using God terms is always an effective form of persuasion.

2 comments:

CS Leverenz said...

Interesting observations about Bill Clinton's appeal to black voters. He's clearly reversing his strategy of criticizing Obama, which was hurting Hillary rather than helping her. Still, it's hard to imagine what it would take for a black person to vote for Hillary over Obama. It's true that social class is becoming increasingly the issue. Bill had the experience of coming from a poor background; poor people trust him. But Hillary? I'm not sure. And my sense is that Obama had a more privileged background, at least middle class. But is that enough to trump race as a primary source of identification? Guess we'll see. . . .

Brooke said...

I agree with your belief that having a black or woman president would breathe some fresh air into this country - honestly, any sort of change would. America and all its policy and efforts feels stagnant, both at home and in the Middle East. Still, I wonder how people will take to the change. Younger crowds are all for Obama, but the fact remains that older voters count for a significant chunk of the population. I'm not sure if enough people are open minded enough to vote for a man of color. As for Hilary... I encountered a man at work the other day who actually asked to see a man. Sexism isn't dead, and although her gender isn't the only factor she's got against her, I think it is almost significant enough to make or break the race. In such a crucial time, I'm not sure America is ready for something so radically different. But I could be wrong.