Tuesday, April 1, 2008

7 Year-Old Shooter?

I was browsing around news websites this morning hoping to find an update on all the political drama and I stumbled upon this article about a 7-year-old child who brought 2 loaded handguns to school. Apparently the kid had one in his pocket, as a teacher discovered it when it fell out, and when his locker was searched, another loaded gun was discovered inside.

Naturally, I found this on CNN's website, as I'm sure gun control advocates are all over it. Rhetorically I would expect to find it here, as liberal media seems to support gun control far more than conservative. Personally,  I'm not one for locking guns away from the general public, but this story made me wince. I don't believe the child here is to blame - officials seem to think the child thought it was just a toy. This screams negligence from the adults involved. Wouldn't it simply make sense to keep the guns out of reach of the 7-year-old child?

Apparently the uncle who owned the guns is facing charges of endangerment. It is this sort of irresponsibility that makes be think that some people simply should not be entrusted with dangerous firearms. The problem here is twofold: Adults need to have the foresight to keep guns out of reach of children, and they need to teach kids to leave the weapon alone if they see it. Goodness.

Nonetheless, I'm sure CNN was glad to grab onto this story. More fodder for gun-control arguments, I believe, and a compelling one no matter which side you come from. No one wants to worry about a school shooting until at least middle school, after all.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I think through even analyzing the blogging websites today in class, it is even more interesting to me now to analyze how much attention is given to each story, what stories are omitted or more flamboyant, and the spin on each side. It does not surprise me that this story was floating on CNN. I have to wonder (and this could just be speculation) that more children in the Untied States as well as in other countries carry around guns all the time, it is just never reported. I almost feel that places like NPR would love this story, and FoxNews would omit it right on the spot. Depending on what side your newscast is on (liberal or conservative) the stories will be different with different twists especially on controversial issues such as this. These news mediums may also be a forum for telling the public what is important and how “horrible” or “great” something is and here is evidence to back it up. If people want the freedom to carry guns without government control or even outlaw, then they do have an obligation to be responsible; if not we could see freedom of arms thrown right out of the window just because of pure negligence. Either way you look at it, CNN was probably very excited to report on this story, as it adds fuel to their liberal-based fire.